Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Slacking again!

I promise that when I fail to regularly write in this blog, it is simply because I am very busy doing other important things. Like, the hurry up and wait game. That's something I've been doing a lot of. Practicing patience, that's been another big one. Working a lot, as usual. And running.
Although, admittedly, the running fell a bit to the wayside for about a week there, and it was starting to drive me nuts. Every time I tell myself I'm too busy to run, it rarely takes more than a week for it to catch up with me: I feel sluggish, I feel I lose focus, I'm distracted, more irritable, and less patient...hmm, you think exercise is a productive and necessary part of my life worth making time for? Yeah, me too.

So, last weekend's TTR run through the snow (yes, SNOW!!!) was unfortunately missed. The looming potential of a government shutdown was directly affecting my job and the amount of work I found myself needing to get accomplished over the weekend. I was still hopeful up until late Saturday afternoon, as I sat in my office with a long list of things that had to get done before 6:30a.m. Monday morning. It just wasn't worth the stress, so I e-mailed Dallas and backed out of the run. I was bummed to have to do that. In an attempt to make up for the disappointment of missing out on another beautiful and fantastic TTR run,  I really stuck to my schedule of running to and from work throughout this week.
Some reasons I do this, no matter how long the day has been or has the potential to be:
An incredible sky and a red face...we may have had snow on the mountains Sunday morning, but it was 80degrees on the run home Monday!

Oh, that desert sky. In spite of genuinely missing the ocean, I do love this environment. This snapped on the run into work, Tuesday morning.



This weekend I'm looking forward to volunteering at the Zane Grey Highline Trail 50 miler. Its more or less in the backyard of the mountains I spent much of my childhood summers in. My family still has a place up on the rim, and I can't wait to spend part of the weekend kicking around the cabin with my folks. Of course, there will be some TTR's running the race, and I'm excited to be able to return the favor of an enthusiastic and supportive familiar face at the mile 44 Aid Station. Dallas and Mike are both running, along with Sarah. Dallas and Mike were incredible at the 25mile Aid Station for the OP, so I will gladly return the favor of smiles, cheers and snapping pictures. I'm excited and honored to be one of the final sweepers on the course, so I'll get to experience the beauty of the last 6 miles, and support the last runner to what I hope will be a solid finish. It is sure to be a long day, but it will be wonderful. Hopefully next year I'll be one of the race participants!

Well, that's a brief update. Other things on the horizon...I need to finish the mural out at the garden, we're having a huge Earth Day celebration out there next Friday...so, definitely a little crazy leading up to that, but I will be sure to give a full report after it happens. Also, continuing to run, of course. My first 100K is just around the corner, almost exactly a month away! And, I'm glad to say I've found a ride from the SB train station to the race with my new Ultra-running friend Tiffany. We met on the infamous ULTRAlist, and have both enjoyed each others blogs. I'm excited to meet Tiffany and her friend face to face. The BTR run is sure to be beautiful and a great time!

Hope this finds everyone well and enjoying the springtime!
Oh, nearly forgot, since it seems to be a bit of a habit of mine, sharing music that's been stuck in my head, here's this weeks installment. (Since I missed last week, I'll make it a double whammy!)

 This one a nod to last weeks budgetary difficulties. Watch out Washington, I'm going to get my sidewalk chalk!


This one just for good measure. It's music I like that keeps me moving.

Okay, one more, it's not music, but man, where was this gym when I was a kid? Props to my bro Christian for passing this one along:
Sick, sick, sick....maybe I'll try practicing by bounding and bouncing over cacti...

3 comments:

  1. Is the mural permanent? If so, send me a picture and approximate location (intersection...) and I will post it to Tucson's Mural Map (http://tucsonart.info/murals/map_theme.html)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @melo: Yes, the mural is permanent...I'll send you the info when its done. Thanks for including it in your map!

    ReplyDelete
  3. cactus pads is high stakes! that freerunning video is nuts. bet you would be badass at that though - you l'il powerhouse you!

    ReplyDelete