Saturday, February 26, 2011

It gets better

When Dan Savage and his partner started the 'It Gets Better' Project in response to a string of suicides related to bullying, I decided to throw my hat in the ring and make a small video. For me, bullying was often connected to the LGBTQ community...at times it almost seemed like an invitation. However, when I made this video, its intent was to speak to anyone who has ever felt threatened for being their own individual self. When I first posted this to youtube, I didn't expect it to get much traffic, but it was one of the last to be added to the official 'It Gets Better' project site, and subsequently got thousands of hits. The comments I received were all positive, encouraging, and full of thanks. So, when I received an e-mail notice today that I had a new comment on the video,  (it's been at least a couple months since that has happened) I was admittedly surprised. When I opened the comment and read it, in all its eloquence, I realized that I might need to repost this video here, and reiterate the message behind it.
The comment simply read: FAGGOT!
My response is this: we are all, at the end of the day, human beings. We can either choose to celebrate our differences and strive to create a better, more positive world, or we can continue the frustrating path of intolerance, hatred and discontent. Personally, I'd rather live in a world colored by positive experiences than one jaded by discomfort of the unknown or unfamiliar.
So, one more time, and then I'll get down off my soap box: We were not all created equal, if that were the case ours would be a homogeneous society of automatons a la Brave New World, Player Piano, 1984 or any other dystopian novel. We are all Unique and Unrepeatable, I truly believe that, and just as much as I believe that, I believe that is what creates the potential for this world to be such an incredible place.

No comments:

Post a Comment